Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Shopping at Emart (a.k.a. Korean Target)

Shopping at Emart (a.k.a. Korean Target)

So I made a friend named Myra who took me to Emart. We haven't bought a car yet, so if I want to get anywhere it's walking, riding with a friend or public transport.
She had a few things to purchase, so I got to ride along!


This Emart is two floors with parking both on ground level and on the roof.
I must say, Koreans are very creative in their space planning and everything really...
Here below is one of the one-way ramps going to the roof parking.
My friend drives an Acadia so...large vehicle. The parking spaces are very small and less people park on the roof, so this is her favorite place to park.


This is definitely easier than squeezing into a spot on ground level.


Another creative way to ensure the carts are put back...charge a fee.  On the front is a slot where you insert 100 won (which is about $0.10 so very affordable). Then the chain is unlocked. When you are finished shopping and you have inserted the chain back into the slot, you get your coin back! 


No you have your cart and you're ready to get down from the roof and do some shopping!
You roll your cart onto a conveyor-belt type of escalator and it stays on its own!!
Really not sure how it stays put, but it does ;)


Well, I decided to try on a pair of leggings with an attached skirt...it had a fuzzy lining!! So they look fashionable and are super warm!
And of course, you have to take your shoes off when you enter the dressing room.
Take note of the English translation- "Takes off the shoes and to enter."
I find it so interesting to look at the English language from the eyes of a foreigner. I have definitely figured out how difficult a language English can be!


I am really enjoying embracing everything foreign and different here!

So now you see the pet store section! 
Beautiful, coral-colored birds were my favorite ;)


They had a whole section with bunnies, turtles, birds and plenty of other potential pets ;)
Oh and that reminds me! There was a pet store on the top floor with little bitty puppies and kittens for sale. 
Although puppy mills are very prevalent here, so all the pet stores make me a little sad.
My suggestion: find a local rescue to find your forever friend. There are so many animals here who need a home...just like America.


Not sure what type of lizard this is, but it sure looks different ;)


Bunnies are so cute! But they smell...


Below you see all kinds of seaweed...tons of variety...some dried...some frozen fresh.
And very affordable: 680 won is less than a dollar per 100g (not sure how that compares to a pound).


Below are GIANT green onions that are really popular here.
A lot of people grow these at home too. 
We saw plenty of them being sold at markets in town.


Now, you might see these packages and think...oh! string cheese!
Think again ~ those are kinda like sausage but with fish...so pulverized fish in little plastic packaging...yummy
But definitely not cheese! So be careful! 


Yeah beer selection doesn't seem to be a problem here...
And they have a wine section too for those like me who prefer a little vino if I'm going to partake :)


Yes, they even have tiny kegs available...


Really not sure what the stuff below is...it was out in the open (but in coolers) like our seafood and meat sections in American grocery stores.
I have got to make a friend who speaks/reads Korean, so I can learn more!


Well, I found the soju!
It is a very popular alcohol here...at least I think it's considered alcohol (they didn't card me so I'm really not sure how that works).
Anyway, very popular here.
I bought one of these little bottles for about $1 to see what it was like.
Kinda like vodka in that there's not a lot of flavor, burns and is best added in something else.
Yeah, don't think it's going to be my thing ;)
Oh and if you were interested - it also comes in juice boxes!!


And big bottles...and big boxes...


And honey is liquid gold here. One type was about $45!!


Yeah, this is the largest kebab I have ever seen~


There was a little bit of everything there...including appliances and a play yard for kids to play in while parents are shopping. We didn't check it out, so I'm not sure if parents have to stay with them, but I assume so...at least they can burn off some energy!
The only thing I didn't see was a furniture section...but I guess I could have missed it.

And then we were ready to checkout!
And of course neither of us had enough won, but thankfully they take our plastic - And with USAA there is no international fee :)
The checkout is pretty normal...with a conveyor belt and cashier.
However, no bags. You have to either build a box and then checkout, or as we did - checkout and then take your groceries over to this little station and build a box to put your things in.
I think it's ingenious that they save money by not using plastic or paper bags AND they save the planet by reusing the boxes all their shipments arrive in.


And then we head for the roof! With our buggy riding ahead of us ;)


All in all, it was a cool experience and a good place to look for specific needs - but I'm a little too cheap to shop there on the regular ;)
Lotte World and Daiso are other options I've heard of, so I'll have to figure out where they are and head there soon!
Thanks for reading and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment